April 04, 2011
- Peel the eggplant skin.
- Slice the eggplant into thin strips by cutting in slabs then cutting into strips
- Put into a large bowl and add salt. Mix well
- Squeeze with your hands until the eggplant gets soft
- Place the contents into a ceramic bowl or something similar. Put a plate over and then add some weight to put pressure on the contents.
- Wait 24 hours…remove weight
- Squeeze eggplant and dispose of all excess liquid
- Clean your ceramic bowl, add the squeezed eggplant and cover with white vinegar. Place the cover or plate and apply weight onto the product again for an additional 24 hours.
- After the second 24 hours has passed, squeeze and dispose of liquid
- Add olive oil, oregano and garlic….Mix Well. Mamma uses about 3 cloves of grated garlic per jar.
- Pack the eggplant into glass jars, cover with olive oil and seal.
They will be ready to eat in a few days and should be consumed within 6 months.
There is another variation which Mamma wanted to share which permits you to eat them right away Read more…